On the 10th of June 2005 we had the great joy of welcoming the President of Ireland, Mary McAleese, to formally launch our Society.
President McAleese was re-elected president of Ireland on Friday 1st October 2004 being the only validly-nominated candidate. She is a barrister and former Professor of Law. Born on June 27th 1951 in Belfast, she is the first President to come from Northern Ireland. She is married, since 1976, to Dr. Martin McAleese, an accountant and dentist. They have three children, Emma, born 1982 and twins Justin and Sara Mai, born 1985.
The eldest of nine children, President McAleese grew up in Northern Ireland through the violent times that have come to be known as 'The Troubles'. Her family was one of many adversely affected by the conflict. She graduated in Law from the Queen's University of Belfast in 1973 and was called to the Northern Ireland Bar in 1974. In 1975, she was appointed Reid Professor of Criminal Law, Criminology and Penology at Trinity College Dublin and in 1987, she returned to her Alma Mater, Queen's, to become Director of the Institute of Professional Legal Studies. In 1994, she became the first female Pro-Vice Chancellor of the Queen's University of Belfast.
President McAleese is an experienced broadcaster, having worked as a current affairs journalist and presenter in radio and television with Radio Telefís Éireann. She has a longstanding interest in many issues concerned with justice, equality, social inclusion, anti-sectarianism and reconciliation. The theme of her Presidency is 'Building Bridges'
Among the other appointments she has held are:
- Director of Channel 4 Television.
- Director, Northern Ireland Electricity
- Delegate to the 1995 White House Conference on Trade and Investment in Ireland and to the follow up Pittsburg Conference in 1996.
- Member of the Catholic Church delegation in 1996 to the North Commission on Contentious Parades.
- Member of the Catholic Church Episcopal Delegation to the New Ireland Forum in 1984.
- Founder member of the Irish Commission for Prisoners Overseas.
On 11 November, 1997, Mary McAleese was inaugurated as the eighth President of Ireland.
Note: This material has been adapted from the official website of the President of Ireland